Hydroponic Gardening: Benefits of LED Lighting
What are LED Lights?
LED grow lights are the most efficient means of producing light for plant growth as the light produced is specifically designed to target narrow wavelengths required for photosynthesis also most of the energy is not lost in the form of heat like other grow lights. LED grow lights have the highest PAR value (photosynthetically active radiation) of all grow lights. The downside of LED grow-lights is that they are expensive to buy and while being the most efficient, the cheaper models don’t produce enough lumens to be effective for growing a decent size crop.
LED lights are just small light bulbs that can fit easily into an electrical circuit but unlike ordinary incandescent bulbs, they don’t have a filament that burns out, and they don’t get very hot. This means they last a lot longer. They can also be configured to emit light at specific wavelengths thereby making them more efficient for growing plants which require light between 400 to 700 nanometers.
Advantages of LED Grow Lights:
- Produce less heat than other light sources which can damage plant and dry up the hydroponic solution
- Much longer bulb life than other lamps. Typical lifetimes quoted are 25,000 to 100,000 hours
- Lower energy costs due to higher efficiency
- No costly cooling system required unlike Halide Lights which get hot
- LED grow lights do not contain the harmful mercury-filled bulbs that exist in some other grow lights
- Powerful LED grow lights have been shown to produce higher yields and vegetative growth.
For more information on this topic, see the Gracious Gardening Guide to Hydroponic Gardening.
See our LED Lighting Products for Hydroponics!